Moms are always worth celebrating, but after the last year plus of pandemic madness, it’s even more important to show the moms in your life how much you appreciate them! If your mom (or partner, spouse, friend, aunt, bonus mom, etc.) is the real MVP, check out these Mother’s Day ideas to help you plan a celebration as awesome as she is.
Tips for Planning a Mother’s Day She’ll Love
When planning a Mother’s Day activity, make sure you keep a few things in mind:
- Take the work off of her plate so she can focus on fun. A little prep work goes a long way, so do a little extra cleaning, cooking, etc. in the days before Mother’s Day so there are no nagging “to-do’s” hanging over her head that day. Likewise, do your best at wrangling the kids and problem solving during your outing. You don’t want it to feel like more work for her!
- Choose activities she enjoys, not just what you would enjoy. When planning a special day for someone, it’s important to consider it from their perspective. Don’t just choose your go-to activities; think about what they like. With that said, don’t choose an activity that you (or any kids in the group) are going to hate. If you complain the whole time or are visibly miserable, it’s going to suck all of the joy out of the experience.
- Consider breaking the day into parts. Most moms don’t want to be away from their kids all day on Mother’s Day, but that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t enjoy a bit of personal relaxation. Make a family brunch, send Mom out to the spa for a couple hours, and then reunite for a family activity. That way she’ll get the best of both worlds.
Things to Do for Mom Around RVA and the Tri-Cities
Consider these Mother’s Day ideas like an a la carte menu. Pick and choose the ideas that suit your family best to create a personalized itinerary that Mom will love.
A Wonderful Meal
You don’t have to shell out for a fancy restaurant on Mother’s Day. Get creative!
- Bring her breakfast in bed, accompanied by flowers or homemade cards from the kids.
- Pick up takeout from her favorite cafe and head to the park for a gourmet picnic, or pack your own with some of her favorite foods.
- If you do plan to head out to one of her favorite restaurants, make sure you have a reservation ahead of time! If reservations aren’t possible, consider calling ahead to put your name on the list, or sending someone from your party to do so.
A “Treat Yo Self” Moment
This could be a service at her favorite spa; a gift of nice pampering items like face masks, bath bombs, candles, etc.; or a trip to the nail salon with her bestie while you watch the kids. For that matter, a few hours of “off duty” time to do whatever she wants would be much appreciated! Send her out for some leisurely shopping, yoga, or coffee with a friend for a few hours.
A Fun Activity
It’s important to choose Mother’s Day activities that the whole family can enjoy for maximum fun. Here are some great local ideas. (Be sure to account for the ages of any children attending.)